Tag Archive | luka magnotta

CBC Breaking News: Murdered University Student Jun Lin’s Head Is Located In Montreal Park.

WARNING: GRAPHIC MATERIAL

CBC News

Posted: Jul 4, 2012 3:12 PM ET

Last Updated: Jul 4, 2012 4:31 PM ET

Jun Lin, a Chinese citizen, was studying at Montreal's Concordia University.Jun Lin, a Chinese citizen, was studying at Montreal’s Concordia University. (Facebook)
Luka Rocco Magnotta.Luka Rocco Magnotta. (Berlin Police)Montreal authorities have confirmed that a severed human head found in a city park over the weekend belongs to murdered Chinese student Jun Lin.A tip led homicide investigators on Sunday to Angrignon Park, a vast green space in Montreal’s south western region, where they found what appeared to be a human head, near a small lake.Forensic testing on the remains concludes that “what was found is actually related to the 11th homicide on our territory — that is, the Magnotta case,” said Montreal Const. Anie Lemieux.Toronto-area native Luka Magnotta has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder and other alleged offences in Lin’s death.

Lin was a Chinese national and Canadian resident who was a student at Montreal’s Concordia University until he disappeared in late May.

His torso was found shortly after in a Montreal trash pile, while other body parts were shipped to the offices of Canadian federal political parties and Vancouver schools.

Lin’s head remained missing until Sunday’s grisly discovery.

The 33-year-old student’s family travelled to Canada from China after his death, and have met regularly with Montreal authorities, who said finding the rest of his remains was a priority.

private service was held last week at Concordia University.

Magnotta was extradited from Berlin, Germany after an international manhunt tracked him down in an internet café, where he was reading online news reports about himself.

The 29-year-old has requested a trial by judge and jury. His 10-day preliminary hearing, scheduled for March 2013, will be preceded by a pre-trial hearing in January.

Calgary Herald Article: Psycho Accused Killer Luka Magnotta Might Be Connected To Human Remains Sent To Vancouver Schools!!!

Foot and hand mailed to B.C. schools believed to be from Luka Magnotta’s  alleged victim Lin Jun

By Rene Bruemmer, Postmedia NewsJune 6, 2012 12:08 PM

Jun Lin, pictured, was a 33-year-old undergraduate student  at Montreal’s Concordia University.

Photograph by: Facebook , National  Post

MONTREAL — The foot and hand that were mailed to two Vancouver-area schools  are believed to belong to Lin Jun — the man Luka Rocco Magnotta is accused of  killing, dismembering and cannibilizing, police say.

The body parts were mailed from Montreal, and all evidence collected thus far  indicates they belong to Lin, Montreal police Cmdr. Ian Lafreniere said  Wednesday.

DNA testing will be conducted to be certain. Vancouver police are delivering  the foot and hand back to Montreal.

Montreal police revealed at a news conference Tuesday that the head, right  foot and right hand of Lin were still missing.

Later the same day, two packages, one containing a right foot and another  containing a right hand, were opened by staff at the two schools in  Vancouver.

The hand was delivered to False Creek elementary school at 1 p.m. Vancouver  time, the foot to St. George’s School about an hour later.

Lafreniere did not say why those schools were chosen.

He said Magnotta is known to have travelled widely, including to Canada’s  West Coast.

It was also not known why the packages arrived a week later than those that  were sent to Ottawa. It’s not believed Magnotta had an accomplice, Lafreniere  said. To date, four packages have been recovered.

Vancouver police said Wednesday that “authorities in Montreal will be taking  over the investigation into the discovery of human remains contained in packages  mailed to two separate Vancouver schools.”

Montreal police homicide investigators have been placed in charge after their  counterparts in Vancouver “noted that the packaging and addresses on the boxes  sent to Vancouver were similar to that of the packages discovered earlier this  week in Eastern Canada.”

“The disturbing contents, a right hand and a right foot from an as yet  unidentified victim, will be sent to Montreal today (Wednesday) for further  forensic examination.”

Magnotta was captured in Berlin on Monday after a six-day global hunt.

He is accused of killing and dismembering Jun, a 33-year-old Concordia  University computer science student, in late May, and of mailing his feet and  hands to political parties in Ottawa and the two schools in British  Columbia.

Lin’s torso and other body parts were found outside Magnotta’s apartment  building in Montreal.

Lafreniere confirmed that members of Lin’s family have arrived in  Montreal.

Their whereabouts will be closely guarded, Lafreniere noted, because of the  media storm surrounding the case internationally.

A realistic fake foot was discovered by a passerby in Montreal’s Notre Dame  de Grace district Wednesday, spurring a full police investigation and raising  fears of a copycat killer.

“This is not the type of joke to be making at this time, considering the  events of the last weeks,” Montreal police spokesman Yannick Ouimet said.

The incident is being investigated, and charges of mischief could be laid, he  said.

Police said they are still looking into pressing charges against website  owners who have been posting the video that is believed to show the  dismemberment of Lin.

Investigating the case through online sources has been complicated by the  fact Magnotta created at least 70 Facebook pages dedicated to himself, and there  are more than 40 more that fans and detractors have put  up.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/Foot+hand+mailed+schools+believed+from+Luka+Magnotta+alleged+victim/6739411/story.html#ixzz1wy6TMZD5

Breaking News: Canadian Psycho Cat Killer & Accused Murderer Luka Rocco Magnotta Captured In Berlin Germany!!!

Luka Rocco Magnotta arrested in Berlin, police confirm

Published 7 minutes ago
The manhunt for body-parts suspect Luka Rocco Magnotta, is over. The Montrealer, whose image was believed to have been captured earlier at a security checkpoint area in France, has been arrested in Berlin, police confirm.The manhunt for body-parts suspect Luka Rocco Magnotta, is over. The Montrealer, whose image was believed to have been captured earlier at a security checkpoint area in France, has been arrested in Berlin, police confirm.AP

Luka Magnotta, the fugitive “Canadian psycho” killer, has been nabbed in Berlin, German police say.

Magnotta was picked up in an Internet café in the German capital, the newspaper Bild reports.

Berlin police have confirmed the arrest.

Earlier, Montreal police said they expected the 29-year-old’s lust for attention would be his downfall sooner or later.

Magnotta had been the subject of an international manhunt for the gruesome killing and dismemberment of a student in Montreal. The self-described porn star had first been detected in France by police using his cellphone as a beacon. They even managed to find a hotel room where he had been staying.

“The man was seen in France, that’s what French authorities told us,” police spokesman Ian Lafreniere told reporters. Lafreniere cautioned that Magnotta may no longer be in that country, and wouldn’t rule out the possibility he had headed elsewhere in Europe or could eventually try to return to Canada.

“He can travel, he’s someone who has been known to travel, so we’re not taking any chances and we want to keep an open mind,” Lafreniere said. “We’ve received more than 360 tips, it’s huge, people really want to help.”

Magnotta, dubbed the Canadian psycho in the European press, is wanted in the gruesome slaying of Jun Lin, 33, a Chinese student at Montreal’s Concordia University. Lin’s torso was found in a suitcase left for garbage collection outside Magnotta’s Montreal apartment last week. Other severed body parts, including a hand and a foot, were mailed to the offices of the federal Conservatives and Liberals.

Police believe Lin was killed and his body dismembered either on May 24 or 25 in a Montreal apartment. A 10-minute video showing what transpired was then posted online.

French media reported Sunday that personal belongings of the porn actor were found in a hotel in suburban Paris. The reports said police discovered pornographic magazines as well as air-sickness bags from the airplane he took to Paris from Montreal.

Le Figaro reported that police were able to pinpoint part of Magnotta’s itinerary through his cellphone activity. It was unclear whether Magnotta was still in the Paris area on Sunday, but Le Figaro reported that authorities had beefed up their presence at railway stations and airports.

Having earlier indicated that Magnotta is good at disguising himself, Lafreniere said Saturday that the suspect could now be anywhere in Europe, though authorities haven’t ruled out the possibility he may be back in Canada.

Police described Magnotta as being 5 feet, 8 inches tall and about 135 pounds, with black hair and blue eyes.

Interpol has issued an international alert out for Magnotta, 29, who was born Eric Clinton Newman and has also used the name Vladimir Romanov. Pictures posted Sunday on Magnotta’s page on the Interpol website show a man with dark hair and a black Mickey Mouse shirt passing through airport security. The airport wasn’t identified.

Magnotta arrived at the Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport on May 26 and was later identified on surveillance cameras, according to Le Figaro. He was apparently put up for one night by a man who later contacted authorities after realizing who his guest had been.

One published report said Magnotta was spotted in a bar and in a hotel where he spent two nights. Another French newspaper, Le Parisien, quoted the manager of a bar who said Magnotta ordered a soft drink at his establishment last Wednesday night and appeared “very nervous.”

The bar manager said the fugitive left with a man who had an “impressive physique.”

An official in the Paris prosecutor’s office, speaking on condition of anonymity, said police are looking into the alleged sightings but had no additional details.

Meanwhile, the Chinese embassy in Ottawa has issued a statement advising Chinese visitors to Canada to take safety precautions.

With files from The Associated Press and Michel Dolbec