Province Article: Men, Masculinity, & Depression.
Stoic’ men less likely to seek help for depression: UBC study
Men are three times as likely to commit suicide as women, yet only half as likely to seek help for depression.
Photograph by: PNG file photo, iStockphoto
Men’s perceptions and ideals about masculinity may hold the key to understanding why they are at least three times more likely to die by suicide than women, according to a study by two researchers at the University of British Columbia.
After analyzing interviews with 38 men with a history of depression from Vancouver and Prince George, UBC researchers John Oliffe and John Ogrodniczuk found that men who adopt the “stoic warrior” ideal of manhood — characterized by seeming indifference to emotions — may be at higher risk of dying by suicide.
Their study is set to be published in the journal Social Science & Medicine, the most cited social science journal in the world.
Ogrodniczuk says the “stoic warrior” model of masculinity can lead depressed men to shut down and look for an escape from life. In these cases, he says, study participants chose to mute their feelings, disconnect from others, and were more likely to turn to alcohol and drugs.
Though twice as many women are diagnosed with depression as men, men are far more likely to die by suicide, with men aged 20 to 29 at highest risk. Statistics Canada reports that in 2003, the last year for which data is available, more than 2,900 men committed suicide.
“Instead of finding respite from their emotional, mental and physical pain, self-harm emerged as the most common outcome of these actions,” says Ogrodniczuk, an associate professor in UBC’s Department of Psychiatry.
But there is hope. The investigators found that the “protector” ideal of masculinity, characterized by strong commitment to family and loved ones, was the best predictor that men would turn away from suicide, knowing the pain and trauma it would cause others.
“Here, men’s strong sense of masculine roles and responsibility as a provider and protector enables men to hold on while seeking support to regain some self-control,” says lead author Oliffe, an associate professor in the School of Nursing.
The study suggests that “men can best counter suicidal thoughts by connecting with others – namely intimate partners and family – to regain some stability and to secure emotional support from others.”
“Support from friends and connecting to other things including spirituality is often the conduit to men seeking professional help to overcome the suicidal thoughts that can accompany severe depression” Oliffe says.
SUICIDE RESOURCES IN B.C.
Phone numbers
1-800-SUICIDE
BC Nurse Line: 1-866-215-4700 (TTY deaf/hearing impaired number: 1-866-889-4700)
BC Mental Health Information Line: 1-800-661-2121
BC Alcohol and Drug Service: 1-800-663-1441
Griefworks BC: 1-877-234-3322
Suicide Attempt Follow-up, Education and Research: 604-879-9251
Vancouver Crisis Centre: 1-866-661-3311
Websites
Booklets
Two available at: http://www.carmha.ca
Jamaican Gleaner Editorial: The Jamaican Government Must Solve The Corruption In The Country!
EDITORIAL – Coke’s capture welcome, but …
Published: Thursday | June 24, 2010
Tuesday’s capture of the fugitive Christopher Coke is a welcome and symbolic development for the rule of law in Jamaica which, hopefully, will translate into a lasting reversal of crime and violence in our country.
Not much more than a month ago, Coke was a powerful figure, a reputed crime boss and community don, who seemed to have the protection of the Jamaican Government. The Golding administration, it appeared, was willing to go to all lengths to prevent his extradition to the United States to answer charges of drug and gun smuggling.
Indeed, when pressure from civil society forced Mr Golding to buckle, militias loyal to Coke barricaded his west Kingston redoubt of Tivoli Gardens and openly challenged the authority of the Jamaican state. That aggression was beaten back and Prime Minister Golding, perhaps to salvage his reputation, has sought to assume the role of champion against crime in Jamaica.
Which is where Christopher Coke’s capture is important. It is a signal that even the powerful and politically well connected are not immune from the law and should not assume that they can, as appeared to have been the intent with the west Kingston uprising, behave with impunity.
Coke’s day in court
So, the Christopher Cokes of the world must have their day in court to prove their innocence, based on accepted principles of justice – not muscle.
Mr Golding, of course, has to be aware that although the Jamaican state may have won the initial skirmish, actual and figurative, the larger battle against criminality and violence is far from over. Neither the arrest of Coke nor the dismantling of his command and control apparatus in west Kingston achieved that.
There is much more to be done. For despite the seeming respite of violent crime over the past month, the decline in homicides, at more than 60 so far for the month of June, is significant only relative to our circumstance. That number remains far too high.
There are many gangs to be defeated across Jamaica – particularly in Kingston and St Andrew, St Catherine and St James.
In that regard, this newspaper, the reservations of civil liberties advocates notwithstanding, welcomes the decision by the administration to extend the state of emergency in Kingston and St Andrew for a second month and to widen it to the parish of St Catherine. Our concern, however, is that it was not made to cover the entire island and proclaimed until at least to the end of this year.
Special measures necessary
As we have observed before, it is not that we do not understand the bluntness of this instrument or do not care for civil liberties. We are aware, however, that Jamaica, with regard to crime, with its nearly 1,700 homicides a year, faces abnormal circumstances which will require special measures to return to a semblance of normality. The state of emergency has, in this regard, demonstrated its efficacy, which cannot be allowed to lapse.
Prime Minister Golding, however, has to assume full ownership of this project, displaying the kind of robust leadership he allowed us to glimpse in defending Coke’s supposed constitutional rights against extradition.
There are reports of resistance to the initiative by ruling party and even Cabinet members who operate in constituencies with powerful gangs. Mr Golding’s oath, however, is to the people of Jamaica. And we demand better.
NY Times Article: Jamaican Drug Lord Christopher Coke Is Extradited To The United States!
Quiet Day in Court for Jamaican Drug Defendant
The Jamaican drug defendant Christopher “Dudus” Coke arrived at Westchester County Airport in White Plains, N.Y., on Thursday.
By BENJAMIN WEISER and KAREEM FAHIM
Published: June 25, 2010
Christopher M. Coke was led into the courtroom on Friday wearing dark blue jail garb over a brown T-shirt, his hands cuffed behind his back.
He nodded to some spectators, and after the cuffs were removed, he sat quietly with a court-appointed lawyer, Russell T. Neufeld, who spoke with him briefly.
Mr. Coke, 41, was impassive as the judge advised him of his rights and asked whether he wanted to plead not guilty.
“Yes sir,” Mr. Coke said, rising briefly.
The quiet scene in a heavily guarded Manhattan courtroom appeared in sharp contrast to the violence that accompanied the process of bringing Mr. Coke, a reputed Jamaican drug dealer, to New York.
For more than a month, Mr. Coke eluded a furious manhunt by the Jamaican authorities, which had transfixed his island nation, left at least 73 people dead and ended in his decision this week to be extradited to the United States on federal drug and gun charges.
Officials in Jamaica said that Mr. Coke had avoided capture by crisscrossing the island and changing his appearance; and that when he was arrested he was wearing a bushy black wig and had shaved off his beard.
Once he was arrested, Mr. Coke waived his right to contest extradition. He was flown to New York on Thursday in the custody of federal marshals and agents from the Drug Enforcement Administration.
Judge Robert P. Patterson Jr. of Federal District Court ordered Mr. Coke jailed without bond pending further proceedings.
Mr. Coke faces charges of conspiring to distribute marijuana and cocaine, including in New York, and trafficking in firearms. If convicted, he could receive a life sentence, prosecutors said.
Perhaps 10 relatives and other supporters of Mr. Coke’s attended the hearing. Among them, one relative said, were four aunts and four cousins of the man many Jamaicans know as Dudus or Prezzie.
One cousin said Mr. Coke had relatives throughout the New York area.
Mr. Coke had once lived in the United States. Officials have said he was convicted in North Carolina in 1998 of possession of stolen property and was deported.
After the hearing on Friday, the relatives offered a vigorous defense of Mr. Coke as they fled clusters of cameras and microphones outside the courthouse.
“They call him the big bad wolf,” one woman, who called herself an auntie, said sarcastically. “He’s a good person. He’s a very good person.”
Preet Bharara, the United States attorney in Manhattan, said Thursday night he was relieved that Mr. Coke’s arrest and transfer to New York were not “marked by the violence that had gripped the streets of Jamaica for so many days.”
“We look forward to presenting our case to a jury in a Manhattan courtroom and bringing Coke to justice,” Mr. Bharara said.
Mr. Coke, in a statement released by his lawyers earlier Thursday, said he decided not to fight extradition because he wanted to end the bloodshed his case had caused.
He said he expected to be vindicated and to return to his family as a free man.
Judge Patterson scheduled another hearing for Monday, at which the question of whether Mr. Coke will retain private lawyers might be addressed.
Frank A. Doddato, one lawyer who attended the arraignment, said afterward that he expected to be one of several lawyers retained by Mr. Coke, and that they would seek to have him released on bail.
“It obviously will be an uphill fight,” Mr. Doddato said, adding that Mr. Coke would seek to be acquitted.
“We’re not conceding anything,” Mr. Doddato said. “We don’t concede the time of day.”
When Will A Black Man Win A Grand Slam Singles Title?
Although the media say men’s tennis is exciting, the truth is the ATP Tour has been very boring for a long time. Men’s tennis is basically a white sport with a few sprinkes of colour.
A black man hasn’t won a grand slam since 1983. Yannick Noah of France, won the French Open twenty-seven years ago but a black manhas failed to win another grand slam.
An African-American man hasn’t won a grand slam singles title in thirty-five years!
If a black man won a grand slam singles title this would help black tennis. A black male tennis champion can inspire black boys to play tennis.
The Williams Sisters are now veterans, they have been very involved in black tennis and encouraging black youth to play the game.
The dilemma is, tennis is a very expensive sport to play. It takes time for a young tennis player to develop. The equipment, coaching, and court time is very expensive.
The Williams Sisters have already established themselves as legends in women’s tennis. The legendary Althea Gibson broke the colour barrier when she won the Wimbledon singles titles in 1957 and 1958 but Venus and Serena took black women’s tennis to the next level. Venus and Serena made women’s tennis profitable and brought new fans to the sport.
The quandary is, the black men have not progressed and reached the level of the Williams Sisters. James Blake, Jo Wilfried Tsonga, and Gael Monfils have all reached the ATP Tour top ten but they have failed to win grand slam singles titles.
Blake, Monfils, and Tsonga are attractive, and extremely gifted tennis players. In France, Monfils and Tsonga are the most talented male tennis players of their generation and the French public love them.
Gael Monfils of France is a sexy, talented, and athletic tennis player but he lacks the mental toughness to become a champion.
Today, Lleyton Hewitt of Australia defeated the Frenchman 6-3 7-6 6-4 in the third round of Wimbledon. Monfils had multiple chances to win the second set tiebreaker but was passive and after that he basically gave up.
Monfils has been ranked in the ATP Tour top ten he is six foot four, extremely quick, he also very physically fit but he just refuses to be aggressive on the tennis court. I am tired of the excuses people make for Monfils, it is time for Gael to become more aggressive and take chances in his matches.
However, Gael is only twenty three years old, he turns twenty four in September but I fear time is running out for him to win a grand slam.
Gael has only won two ATP Tour titles in his career yet he has lost multiple finals. Two years ago at the French Open Gael made his breakthrough and reached the semifinals and he entered the top ten. I thought Gael was on his way to becoming a champion but I fear he has regressed.
Meanwhile, James Blake is a lost cause he has a chronic knee injury and he was always an underachiever.
Blake is the male Anna Kournikova, he is very handsome, and charismatic but he has never proven he has the grit, the determination to become a champion.
In the year 2005, James Blake almost defeated Andre Agassi in the quarterfinals of the US OPEN but he choked and lost the match.
Blake has not recovered from his astonishing defeat at the 2005 US OPEN.
Some people say James Blake is just too nice, I think James Blake just doesn’t believe has the ability to become a champion.
Blake is now thirty years old he has dropped out of the ATP Tour top 100 and I fear it is too late for Blake to reach his potential.
One of Blake’s problems is, he refused to fire his childhood coach Brian Barker when he a top player. Many tennis fans and the media felt that Barker didn’t have
the expertise to make become develop into a champion. Blake and Barker are no longer working together but his time has passed.
Blake hasn’t reached a grand slam final in his career even though he was won 10 ATP Tour titles and reached a career high of number four in the world.
I think Jo Wilfried Tsonga has the mental toughness that his countryman Gael Monfils lacks but I am not sure he will become a champion? Tsonga reached the Australian Open finals two years ago and lost to Novak Djokovic.
I believe Tsonga has the grit that Blake and Monfils lack. Tsonga is inconsistent, he can play great tennis one day and terrible tennis the next.
However, my belief is Tsonga is the one I feel can win a grand slam but he has to play up to his potential to win. Tsonga has a complete game he has a huge serve, excellent groundstrokes, he volleys very well and he believes in himself.
I wonder, when will a black man ever win a grand slam singles title again? Only time will tell when a black man will break the colour barrier again in men’s tennis and win a grand slam singles title.
Reuters Article: Serena Is Mad She Was Forced To Play On Court Two Instead Of The Show Courts.
Snubbed Serena takes out anger on Chakvetadze
LONDON (Reuters) – A seething Serena Williams took out her anger at being exiled from the main showcourts by pulverising hapless Russian Anna Chakvetadze 6-0 6-1 to reach the third round of Wimbledon on Thursday.
Three-times champion Williams, whose day at the All England Club began by curtsying to Queen Elizabeth on the players’ terrace, was clearly not amused by Wimbledon organisers’ decision to banish her to the sunken Court Two.
“I don’t think I should be out there,” the world number one told reporters after booking a last-32 date with Slovakia’s Dominika Cibulkova.
“Naturally I thought, ‘Well, why wasn’t I on Centre or at least No. 1? I guess they wanted to put Roger (Federer) and (world number 21) Sam (Querrey) and everyone else there. I’m over talking about it,” she added abruptly while indicting she was no longer prepared to be quizzed on the topic.
As the reigning champion, Williams has every right to feel slighted as players such as Federer — who in fact was not even on the schedule for Day Four of the championships — 2008 champion Rafael Nadal and British number one Andy Murray have not played away from the two main showcourts for a number of years.
It was hence little wonder she arrived for her match looking very angry and Chakvetadze was soon on the receiving end of a barrage of brutal groundstrokes.
Chakvetadze raised the loudest cheers from the crowd when she finally ended a losing streak of 11 games but the smile on her face was soon wiped off as Williams bashed down a winner to end the Russian’s torment after 49 fleeting minutes.
After bagging the win, the enthusiastic reception she received from the crowd went some way towards healing William’s dented pride.
“The only way to console me was… I just saw so many kids, these little girls, these little boys.
“A lot of these people can’t get into the Centre Court … that definitely made up for it, to see fans I wouldn’t normally see.”
But earlier in the day, her promise to show the Queen a curtsy “she will definitely never forget” went slightly awry.
“I feel like I had the number one curtsy and then I just got nervous,” she said as she burst into a fit of giggles.
“My bow didn’t go the way I wanted. I got nervous. So I couldn’t get as low as I wanted to.”
Williams meeting with the Queen, who was visiting the All England Club for the first time in 33 years, lasted all of 30 seconds but it seems the American just could not shake off the nerves.
“I was supposed to say, ‘Your Majesty’. I totally choked. I was like, ‘Hey, nice to meet you’, total American style. And then she started talking. Then I was like ‘Your Majesty’ while she was talking.
“Maybe she’ll remember me,” grinned the self-styled ‘drama queen of tennis’.
The TTC Needs To Scrub The Men’s Washrooms At Finch & Yonge Subway Stations ASAP!!!
I swear it is really annoying every single time I have to take a piss at Finch or Bloor subway stations the men’s washrooms are always a pigsty!
When is the TTC going to enter the twenty first century?
Why is there not enough soap available in the men’s washrooms?
Unfortunately, on Monday afternoon, I had to use the men’s washroom at Finch subway station.
I quickly took a piss and ran out of the washroom!
The TTC needs to get with the program they charge $3.00 dollars yet the service is not at a high standard!
The rancid odor, the soiled toilet paper, crushed newspapers, dirty pop cans on the ground is disgusting!
Sometimes there is never any soap in the men’s washrooms either!
The TTC needs to get with the fucking program and seriously scrub the men’s washrooms they are making Toronto look bad!
I am serious!
The TTC needs to hire some cleaning company and clean the men’s washrooms!
When is the TTC going to clean the men’s washrooms at Finch or Bloor subway stations?
In relation to public health, I think the TTC needs to get their workers to scrub the men’s washrooms!
I am tired of having to hold my breath when I take a piss!





